Saturday, September 20, 2008

Trivia Night 9/18/08


After a few weeks away, maybe a month, I don't know, Breanne and I made our hardly triumphant return to the Rogue Ale House trivia. It was just the two of us and we neglected to check the brainstormer site for the heads up on two of the rounds but we did respectable. We finished 5th out of maybe 20 teams. We beat one team that was a table over from us that had 12 members. I felt good about that.

Per usual, we did shit in the general knowledge round but kicked ass with the hand out. The subject was golf and you had to match up golfers with their home country. I filled in the obvious Asian ones and then Breanne filled in the rest. I have to give her all the credit though because I hadn't heard heard of most of them. We ended going 10 for 10 in the match up and after two rounds we were tied for second. I failed to identify Jesper Parnevik for a bonus point.

The picture round really knocked us back. Even though Breanne is in charge of all Southern Hemisphere countries, we missed Ecudaor and Paraguay on the map section. Ecuador was my fault- I changed our answer before turning it in.

Another round was movie quotes. Rick, the DJ that runs the trivia, would name a movie quote and we had to write down the movie. I know a lot of movies so we made up some ground there. Blues Brothers, Pulp Fiction, Casablanca, and some more obvious ones with Dirty Harry and Forrest Gump. I can't remember the others but we almost got all 10.

The music round was intolerable. Though there supposed to be songs from all genres, the only one that didn't sound like a dance/techno song was something by Yes, which we got. I think Gloria Estefan was the answer to two questions.

We lost some ground in the final round but all together had a respectable place.


Five Major Trivial failures of the night

1. Failed to identify Jesper Parnevik. All I could think of was the Jarvik heart so I put Payne down. Bad guess. Would have nailed that one 10 years ago when I watched golf a lot at my grandmothers.

2. Didn't get the South American countries. By next August and the Olympics, in which World Geography is an event, I'll have 'em down pat.

3. Couldn't name a female actress nominated for an Oscar in 2002. Still can't.

4. Neglected to name the 1996 film starring Alec Baldwin and James Woods. It was Ghosts of Mississippi. I'd never heard of it but I looked it up and it sounds alright. Even so, I should do Alec better.

5. Named the last Spice Girl to have a baby. It was Sporty, the only one I could remember.

No comments: