Thursday, September 11, 2008

Napper Tandy Trivia


Took the bus down to the lower Mission area and did trivia with Katie and her friend Matt at Napper Tandy's. It's a small well-lit pub with a horse shoe bar and a thick Irish vein. No blaring music, no drunk screaming fraternity boys, enough light to see the beer your holding; it was great. Breanne had a friend coming up from Santa Barbara, who was running late, so Breanne couldn't make trivia.

There wasn't much of a turnout at Napper Tandy's, only about 10 teams, but there was some good competition. We actually began the night going 10/10 in the General Knowledge round, which is unheard of when I'm involved. So after a round we were in first, but we lost it after that. We did well in the Disney Songs round but labored in the corporate slogan round. I knew that the best a man can get is Gilette and that the number one ball in golf was the Titlest, but that's about it. A lot of the slogans belonged to car companies and none of were auto savvy.

Due to the small number of teams, the trivia official, a small middle-aged woman with a thick Irish accent, elected to cut the night short by eliminating the music round. This is always my strongest round, just as it is Katie's. We ended up finishing in 3rd, missing first by a measly 4 points, 4 points I'm confident we would have made up in the music round.

I actually had a fruitful night- had the old brain wheel rolling. I answered two questions correctly about old movies and nailed a few other tricky ones. I identified Demi Moore in a tricky photo and missed the date of the sinking of the Lusitania by one lousy year.


Since I'm in a hurry and I had a good trivial night, I'll end with just 3 major trivial failures of the night.


1. Allowed Katie to change my answer for the artist that sings "Love will keep us Together." She went with Chaka Khan instead of The Captain and Tennille.

2. Couldn't recall Helen of Troy's husband's name. It was Menelaus. I guessed Agamemnon.

3. Bothered to watch the 10th and 11th innings of the Sox game before catching the bus to Napper Tandy's. Waste of my fucking time. Awful performance, Sox.

No comments: