Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mt. Tamalpais State Park

Went on a hike today in the Tamalpais state park. We were originally planning on Muir woods but the parking lot was packed and we weren't in the mood for tourists so we aimed for something more ambitious and left Muir for another day.
After driving up the coast a bit further we found the Pantoll ranger station which marks the starting point of several coastal trails. It was already noon so we set off on the moderate trail that covered Coastal, Cataract and Old Mine loop. The woods were quiet and we only saw maybe 5 people all day. About 2 miles in to the hike we happened upon two deer, one with enormous antlers. The other was a baby and they were only about 20 feet, or a little less, from the hiking trail. We actually spotted them before they saw us so we were able to watch them for a long time from close proximity.
The trail offered a nice view of the ocean and the golden gate of the Pacific, or the mouth between Sausalito and San Fran that opens into the bay. We climbed a few bluffs and took some photos, though are camera isn't much for landscapes.
I gave Breanne a 3 second head start in racing up one of the hills but the moment I took off I was bitten by a wasp. It took a little chunk of flesh off my ankle, somehow getting inside my sock. After a short cry, I continued onward.
We came to a meadow and followed a trickle of a creek for a few miles. After a minute or so of trying, I snatched up a quick lizard and Breanne stroked it's head. It didn't try to bite me though it may have been playing dead in my hands. It ran off the second I put it on the ground.
We walked roughly 7 miles by the time we made it back to the car but it didn't feel like it. We're going to try something longer, perhaps more strenuous, next time out.

No comments: