Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good books from Goodwill

I recently went to Goodwill with Manda and Greg and found 6 books at 99 cents apiece. Breb and I decided we would do a little book shopping of our own and so we looked online and found all the Goodwills in San Francisco and devoted the better part of a day to it. The first one was over on Geary and 9th. The next one required a bus ride over to Hyde and O'Farrell. The second GW was the most profitable- we picked up 10 books at that one. Then a quick lunch and we hit the main store at the corner of Mission and 11th. The last Goodwill within our bus range was over on Fillmore.
All told, we purchased 24 books for a little under 34 dollars. I think Breanne made out better than I did, but I was happy with the turn out. Here's the booty list:
Death in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa
The Book of Sudoku 2
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
Fat Lightning by Howard Owen
While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
I Remember Julia by Eric Carlson
Everyman by Philip Roth
Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden
A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Butler
3 Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger
Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee
The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton
Sports Illustrated: Baseball
The Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson
All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein
Postcards by E. Annie Proulx
A Lefty's Legacy by Jane Leavy
Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen

So I found some Tolkien I didn't know existed. I found some good baseball books. I found a Proulx book and some good fantasy. And Breanne found lots of other ones I'll try to get to. It was a good haul.

No comments: