Thursday, August 28, 2008

Your Revolution is Over

11-3 and the final Sox/Yankees series in The Stadium's history could end in a sweep. Wouldn't that be A-ppropriate. Last night's game I witnessed between The Bus Stop and my apartment. I called Pedroia's slam right before he swung. I think I could have hit that pitch out (of the infield). I'm not going to say that we can stick the fork in New York after this game, because they're never out of it, i.e. in 1978 they came back from 14 games in a little under two months. But yesterday I was talking about the Yankees with Andrew, and we both came to the conclusion that the reason they've suffered so this year is they tried to break an unwritten rule. They tried to rebuild while still winning the division. You can't win in a rebuilding season. The only team that can do that is the Athletics, and they don't win, they just make the playoffs and are swept in the first round. But they, Billy Beane and his young men, are an exception to the rule. And they play in the AL West. I don't think Hank or Hal or Hooever Steinbrenner intended it, but the Yankees may have actually learned something this year. The game has changed. And you need to restock that farm system because eventually you're going to run out of prospects to dole out and some one's going to beat you to the big bat (Teixeira) or the big arm (Sabathia) at the end of July. In the words of Jeffrey Lebowski, "Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski (Steinbrenner). Condolences. The Bums lost."

No comments: