Friday, August 22, 2008

German Food

Ate at a German restaurant with Breb. It was called Suppenkuche, with those two little dots above the second U. Here's the website before I forget:
http://www.suppenkuche.com/welcome.html

It was the second German restaurant I've eaten at. The first one was in Phoenix a couple years ago. It should have been my third German meal. I'd planned to eat at a famous place in Denver but it didn't work out.

The food was good. I had the Falscher Hase, meatloaf with bacon and a hard boiled egg hidden under the loaf. It was covered by an oniony broth. My Weltenburger Dunkel beer tasted like molasses and was served in a huge mug. Breb had the hen, which was served on it's back. It was salty and tasted like a mix of turkey/chicken.

The ceiling was decorated with silver and white doves, made of bent metal, hanging from string. Some of the birds were numbered. The numbers were black and slanted on gold foil stickers like the ones you see on mailboxes. Along the trim of the windows there were stencils of fir trees and on the wall opposite the door was a picture of a Volkswagen beetle with an upside down bike on it's roof. The tables were made of unfinished pine and there was a three-sided bar that all the waiters leaned against when they weren't walking about.

We're going to go again soon. I think I'll have something a bit more stereotypical next time.

On a side note, I was the only man in the restaurant not wearing a tight black t-shirt.

No comments: