Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Book Thief

Just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's an interesting little story, takes place in Nazi Germany, and the narrator is Death. I liked it though I picked a poor time to read it. I'd just read If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi, and it puts any wartime book to shame. I could see The Book Thief becoming a required reading for high school students. It's not terribly long and it gives the reader a good idea of what it was like for non-Jewish civilians during the second World War.

3 comments:

teh bobbi said...

I love this book. Love it love it love it.

Gary said...

Did you ever notice how almost every piece of fiction about WWII is written from a Jewish perspective?

teh bobbi said...

That's not from a Jewish perspective though. It's from the German non-Jewish/non-Nazi perspective. I don't think I read enough WWII fiction to be a good enough judge on your comment.