Saturday, August 30, 2008

Trivia Night 8/28/08


Finally, a top 3 finish at trivia. With the help of my sister and her boyfriend, who were in town for the long weekend, and Katie and her friend Gary, we managed to squeeze out third place.

I'd like to say that it was our intelligence and teamwork that gave us the bronze but it had more to do with the fact that the place was barren. There were only about 15 squads while there are usually 25 to 30 teams. We only did real well in one of the categories. It was called "fruity songs," and we were given the names of 10 songs with a fruit in the title and made to match them up with the artists. We actually went 10 for 10 and got a bonus question about Fionna Apple right too.
Katie helped a lot in the music round and Gary provided an answer or two near the end. I don't remember providing many answers myself and Greg claims to have only answered 1 1/2 questions correctly.

More importantly, Katie and Gary both, inexplicably, won free beers during the bonus drawing. I've gone to trivia several times and had never won a beer. I landed a free one later though when I asked the guy that runs it, Rick, what one of the filler songs was. He told me it was the theme from Stripes and he handed me a ticket for a free drink.
I drank quite a bit so I don't remember many of the questions. Here are my top four trivial failures anyway.

1. Couldn't remember the name of the guy who sings "Electric Avenue." I could picture the video and I knew his first name was Eddie, but that's as far as I go. It was Eddie Grant.
2. Incense, Peppermints. The band? Strawberry Alarm clock. Again, I remembered only the first half. No points.
3. I used to read shit about the Titanic all the time. I couldn't remember what color star line the ship was. We went with blue, the answer was white.
4. Ethan would have been pissed. I neglected to name Greg LeMond when they asked, something like, which biker won the Tour 3 times and retired in 1994.

No comments: