Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Xbox runaway

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/microsoft-offers-reward-for-missing-xbox-gamer/1260470
Just read this article about a 15 year old who ran away from home because his dad took his Xbox away. He left his house, on his bicycle, on October 13th, which is the day Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving (for some reason).
"I just took away his identity, so I can understand why he got so mad and took off. Before, I couldn't understand why he was taking off for taking his game away."
This is an excerpt from the article, quoting the boy's father. What the hell is going on here? If I read this story without knowing the boy's age I would guess that he was 7. And he's either hiding at his grandmother's house or his best friend Jeff's.
I'm not entirely sure if the father is claiming to be in the wrong or not. At one point he compares taking the Xbox away to "cutting his legs off." WHAT? If taking your son's video games away is tantamount to cutting off his legs, your son has a problem.
When Parra took away my Crash Bandicoot in college I didn't ride off on my bicycle and hide in a shed somewhere. I took it like a man and allocated that block of time for napping and interacting with people.

No comments: