Saturday, October 25, 2008

Run 10/25

Went for a run today with Breanne riding beside me. I wanted to try and run around the Presidio and try to avoid some of the big hills that climb up to Broadway street.
We entered the Presidio on Lyon street and ran by the cemetery and up Kobbe street, which is always empty and shoulders lots of tall old brick mansions. Doesn't look like anyone lives in them. After climbing Kobbe, which is just a long gradual uphill until the last 500 ft, we were at the ocean and we took a left and ran along the water. There was a sweaty bald man, running with his shirt in one hand, that I kept passing. I would look at things or take side streets and have to pass him all over again. He wasn't going terribly slow but I was feeling good and trying to keep up with Breanne and her bicycle.
Once we finally escaped the Presidio, we took another left on Lake street and started the long straight away back to the apartment. I crossed about 25 streets before getting to Clay and Washington, where I climbed an unbelievably steep hill that I'd overlooked when planning the route. Breanne had to get off her bike and I ran it up the hill for her and waited at the top.
By the time I got back I was sweaty and sore but I felt I could have gone further. It's so much easier to increase your speed when you have someone biking casually along next to you. It makes you feel like you're not working hard enough. It was around 9 miles all together, but it took me well over an hour. Not a tremendously good pace, but I started really slow and sped up over the last 3 miles. I determined that there is no way to run in my neighborhood without going up a giant hill, but it's good for my training.

No comments: