Monday, July 21, 2008

My Favorite Fruits


For the second time in the last 9 months, I've discovered a new fruit. I use discovered the same way Europeans did in the age of exploration. These fruits already existed, but I didn't know of them.

Kumquats
This is my all-time favorite fruit. They're roughly the size of a grape and taste like tart oranges. My favorites are the underripe ones that more closely resemble lemons. You can even eat the skin which is thin and sugary. Incidentally, Kumquat is also a gentleman's racket sport. It sounds like that very boring game you play at the beach where you keep the ball up in the air for an hour until someone falls asleep standing up.

I lifted this off the internet: "Kumquat is noted for it's exciting tactical battles brought on by the need to hit the ball upwards. The 2008 season is set to begin in the third week in July with a particular exciting series in store". I still prefer the fruit.

Pluots
A Pluot is a mix between a plum and an apricot. It was first created by the "famous" gardener, Floyd Zaiger. It's actually 3/4 plum, which I suppose is why it's not called an Aprium, which sounds Latin and more sophisticated, though less like something from a Douglas Adams novel.
Wikipedia states that, "Zaiger has spent his life in the pursuit of the perfect fruit."

1 comment:

teh bobbi said...

Well, did Zaiger fail or is this the perfect fruit?