Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Puny like a Rose

Before I start crying about bad luck and fantasy baseball stuff that doesn't matter in the slightest bit yet exudes pathos, take a look at how awesome, on paper, my fantasy baseball team is. Keep in mind this is an AL only league with 12 teams. I didn't include everyone, just the "big" stars. After the pictures, the griping.
Do to the image size, you may have to click on them to find out who they are. Actually, that won't tell you either unless you're a baseball fan. It's, from left to right: Miguel Cabrera, Ian Kinsler, Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz, Josh Hamilton, Grady Sizemore, J.D. Drew, Francisco Liriano, Eric Bedard, Joakim Soria, Felix Hernandez, and Kevin Slowey. I could have included Orlando Cabrera but I'm mad at him.

So, the losing streak has reached a month now. For the fourth consecutive week, Mighty Like a Rose, my team of superstars in my fantasy baseball league, The Barnstorming Union, has lost. Few sane managers would argue against my team being the strongest, but at the moment I'm slumping listlessly in a tie for 2nd place in my four team division. That puts me at 5th overall.
This week, I'm playing my brother, Manchester Torants (Torants is short for Expectorants) but I'm not confident. On Sunday, Grady Sizemore, one of my star outfielders, went on the DL (disabled list) with elbow inflammation which could require arthroscopic surgery, which would put him out for at least 2 months. And Josh Hamilton, fantasy darling and rehabilitation poster boy, went on the DL last night with a strained abdomen, and the team is presently performing an MRI to determine whether he'll need surgery to correct it. And guess how long he'd be out if surgery is indeed required? Yep, two months. Two MONTHS! That's a third of the baseball season, of which 1/3 is already gone!
Yes, I have A-Rod, Miguel Cabrera, and Ian Kinsler. And my offense is still better than that of most teams, but my pitching has struggled and my offense, due to injuries and slumping, has not been there to pick up the slack. Felix Hernandez and Francisco Liriano have combined for 1 win in the last month! Joakim Soria hasn't pitched in the majors since Cinco de Mayo and he's my only closer! Chris Ray has done nothing to get himself promoted to a closer position. At least Kevin Slowey has been great. That Slowey and Kinsler trade is looking like it may win Bo Jackson 5 (Colin) the Cavalier Lavaliere, a medal that is awarded to the team that, in the eyes of the commissioner, made the worst trade of the season. It's a shoe in if Matt Holliday (the major component of my trade offer) gets shipped to the NL at the trade deadline.
But it's a long season and injuries heal and paint fades and chainsaws rattle with flesh and cattle, so it's too early to panic. For now.

No comments: