Tuesday, August 26, 2008

That Old Ace in the Hole


Just finished That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx. I don't think there is a living writer who can paint a small town as vividly as she can. The book also includes several memorable characters. It's a funny and gratifying book. Breanne said that it's the kind of book she could recommend to anyone, and that's just about the best compliment a book can get, I think.


I think some of her best writing is in Heartsongs, her first book of short stories. While reading up on her, I discovered she graduated from Deering High in Portland, which I think makes her the greatest writer to graduate from a Maine institution. Sorry Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Stephen King and Samantha Smith.

2 comments:

teh bobbi said...

what about richard russo?

Gary said...

He's rubbish compared to Proulx.