Friday, January 23, 2009

Xmas Jr.

Christmas Jr. was last weekend. Got some great gifts.
-Harry Smith American Folk collection. Been wanting this for years. It's a 6-CD set of music from the early-middle 20th century, in the folk tradition.
-Some records including Kenny Loggins Live. This goes well with my new record player. It's real nice and I've been using almost constantly since I got it. I listened to a lot of the Boss yesterday. The player also has a USB port so I can export songs from Vinyl on to the computer.
-some other CDs and some books. A Randy Newman piano book, Karlology (which I've been wanting for months but didn't buy because I was fairly certain someone would buy it for me for XmasJr. Confessions of a Yakuza, The Michael Palin Diaries. My brother got me a CD by Vampire Weekend, which I like a lot, and a Dylan Bootleg which has a lot of tunes I've never even heard.
-Greg got me some rubber shoelaces and a giant plastic Hershey's kiss that plays "Kiss is on my list" by Hall & Oates when you open it.
-Manda got me a tiny head lamp that is much better than the one I own. It's has 5 or 6 settings and the beams are extremely bright.
-I also received a chess clock for playing scrabble. I've used that a few times as well.
-And a hula hoop, which I pick up every 10 seconds or so. I've mastered the neck to torso move but I have yet to perform the torso to neck move successfully. I watched a video of a woman doing it on youtube and it doesn't look all that hard.
-And I got a harmonica and neck piece for holding it. The harmonica is in E so I can play along to Blood on the Tracks. I got the very same thing for Ethan for the very same reason.

No comments: