Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Prez

It's hard to believe but I'm actually excited about the outcome of a Presidential election. For the first time in my life, the obvious choice to me was also the overwhelming popular choice. I would go as far as saying I feel proud to be an American today.
When I was driving through Oakland last night, after watching the election results at a friends, people were celebrating in the streets. I'm sure that's a first, at least in a long time, following an election.
Hopefully Obama can be true to his word and do what he sets out to do. I'm not usually one for acceptance speeches and political filibuster, but the one Obama gave last night after McCain conceded, was damn good. I noticed that he used the word enormity when describing the task that lies ahead for him and the country. It's strange because George H. W. Bush, our 41st President, used the same word to describe his sweeping victory in the 1988 electoral college. He meant to comment on the great scope of his victory, the immensity, or what he should have said: enormousness. What he ended up saying was he was surprised at the wickedness or atrocity of his landslide victory. A fitting malapropism.
It's not a big deal, but I am glad our new President knows the meaning of the word. I'm betting he didn't realize that it was likely the first word H. W. screwed up upon becoming Prez.
Thanks Pennsylvanians and Ohioans.

No comments: