Monday, March 16, 2009

Training and the Draft: Why the Army is fun

I'm trying to kick start my Olympic training. The 2009 Maine Summer Olympics are only 5 months away. I went for a jog today, about 6 miles, around a loop that included the beach. My legs felt fine- as they should have considering I hadn't used them in a month- but I was desperately out of breath at the end. I was running 6 miles on my down days in San Francisco, and it's much hillier out there. I haven't done much else in the way of training other than lifting weights. I guess that might help in the tug-of-war. I'm on the verge of getting fat, which happens every few months, but hopefully with the arrival of warm weather, I can get myself running and exercising more.
Last night was the draft for my fantasy baseball league, The Barnstorming Union. The turnout was OK, a bit better than last year. My brother drove down from Manchester to conduct his draft here- he doesn't have the internet. He brought a three-ring binder with him that had some cheat sheets in it and I think it helped because he wound up with a good team. Overall, I was satisfied with my draft. I didn't get the big closer that I wanted, but I did get four solid picks at spots 1, 14, 15, and 21, in Holliday, Bedard, O. Cabrera, and DeRosa respectively. At one point in the draft the autopilot kicked in on it's own, which prevented my drafting of Clay Buchholz, and later on I was "skipped" two rounds in a row, for reasons still unknown to me. But I can't complain, my team is looking exceptionally strong this year, lacking only perhaps in one consistent SP and a mid level reliever.
Right now I'm working on fixing that problem by moving one of my OF for a good starting pitcher.

No comments: