Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Job

Been doing a shitty job keeping up with my blog. I got a position as a loader at a big bakery. I've been working weird shifts, mostly 3:30am to noon at the moment, which really does a number on you. It doesn't leave me with much energy and sees me under the covers by 8 at the latest. I've got better hours this week, going in at times like 1pm, 2pm, and 4pm. I have Monday off, which will be dedicated to finding a better job. I looked for a job in San Francisco for 6 months without success, so I'm sure I can find a job in the greater Saco area in one day. No problem.

The job isn't good, but at least I'm getting some hours right now. I think I worked overtime this week (6 days out of 7) but I'm guessing there is some type of loophole that will keep me from being paid extra. Numerous employees at the bakery have encouraged me to look elsewhere for work, and not in a threatening way. From several employees I have heard (not that I needed to be told) that the job is a dead end and a bad place to work. The pay has actually decreased in the last 10 years, the benefits are awful, and the hours are inconsistent. In my case, I applied for an "on call" position, though I'm working full-time at the moment, and I'm told that if I wasn't scheduled but then called to come in, saying no is not an option. That's not really what on call means, but, what can you do. About the only good part of the job is that my friend Jesse is a supervisor there so I get to see him occasionally if I work second shift. Regardless of how bad the job is, I'm lucky to have employment. As everyone knows, the economy isn't the strongest right now, and Breanne told me that she has four female co-workers whose husbands are out of work right now. That's rough. But on the other hand, I have quite a few plans coming up in the month of March, and it would be a shame to have to cancel all of them. That's the catch. I know that work is what people do; they work then they die. Well, I don't really care for that. I'll work when I'm dead, or however that saying goes.

On a side note, last night Breanne and I went to a USM hockey game. It was the first time I'd sat through an entire USM game. I saw Ray Jean, a guy I went to high school with, and talked to him during the second period.

No comments: